PUPPY FAQ AND DEPOSIT POLICY
Frequently Asked Questions:
Addressing questions you might have. Please read these before contacting me.
Addressing questions you might have. Please read these before contacting me.
- When is your litter due? - Females do not cycle on a regular schedule. Until they are actually in season any litter timing is a best guess. A litter arrives approximately 63 days after breeding. Puppies are ready to go to new homes approximately 8 weeks later.
- Will there be fawn or brindle puppies available? - Fawn parents can only produce fawn puppies. Brindle parents can produce both brindles and fawns. Two flashy parents of either color can produce whites.
- What is the difference between show and pet puppies? - The conformation differences are very minute. Males who do not have two descended testicles and white puppies are always pets. All Gentry puppies are eligible for AKC performance events. Therefore, we do not differentiate between "pet" and "show" in our pricing structure. We evaluate puppies at 8 weeks for those homes who desire to pursue conformation to provide the best review of characteristics for that particular journey.
- Are health issues inherent in white puppies? - Health issues are not directly related to their color, very rarely they can be deaf. White puppies are genetically colored puppies with an overabundance of white markings.
- May I send a deposit? - I typically do not accept deposits before a pregnancy is confirmed and usually not before a litter is born.
- What is your deposit policy? - Once accepted, deposits are not refundable unless the puppy dies or significantly fails its initial health screen. Any results other than normal will be reported and noted on the contract. Presence of low load parasites or innocent heart murmurs are not a significant failure. Low loads of parasites can, in fact, prime the immune system to work more strongly throughout life. Innocent heart murmurs are common in boxer puppies and are always noted in writing if found. Deposits do not typically hold a specific puppy, but a choice made with the my help to determine the best fit. If you want a specific puppy from a litter or breeding, you must state so on your questionnaire. Otherwise, your deposit binds you to my program and obligates me to provide you with a puppy from that litter. If, for any reason, you do not take your puppy when he/she is ready, your deposit will be forfeit. The puppy will be placed with another buyer.
- How will I know when you have a litter due? - If I have an approximate time the information is shared on the Puppies Page. Once a pregnancy is confirmed, details are added to my site.
- Do you have a mailing list? - I do not have a mailing list.
- How do I know I am included in your list of inquirers? - If you have completed one of the Purchasing A Puppy questionnaires, your inquiry is included in my file.
- When should I reconnect re puppy placements? - Keeping a check of the web site and confirming your interest when litters arrive is a good idea.
- When do puppies go to their new homes? - Puppies are typically available at around 8 weeks of age.
- Can you board my puppy past the pickup date? – Typically not, as we are not a boarding kennel and do not have facilities to contain puppies beyond that time. Our nursery walls are 24” high. Typically they can scale that wall by 8 weeks, and are ready to transition. We will only board by special arrangement and when the purchase contract is paid and converted to a fee per day.
- I live out of state, can delivery of my puppy be arranged? - A flight or ground transport nanny can be hired, that cost is in addition to the purchase price.
- What health testing do the parents have? - Health Testing is reviewed at the link on the Puppies Page.
- What vaccines have the puppies received? – Gentry Boxers are naturally reared; thus receive no injectable vaccines per NRBA Code of Ethics. They receive homeopathic nosodes which must be continued on a schedule in your home. Instructions will be provided. We will also provide instructions on how to raise blood serum antibodies (titers) to typical puppy pathogens (distemper, parvo, hepatitis, leptospirosis, coronavirus, etc.)
- What are homeopathic nosodes? Homeopathics are well respected medicines that were the system of medicine in the US before prescription meds and Big Pharma took over the medical college system. They are energy medicines. They do not produce blood serum antibodies, but raise the animal’s immune system significantly so that if they encounter a pathogen contained in the homeopathic, they are much more likely to mount a strong immune response.
- May I meet the sire (father) and dam (mother) of the litter? - The dam is almost always available to meet. Meeting the sire is not always possible.
- Must my puppies ears be cropped? - Cropping is not required.
- Will my puppy be examined for health anomolies before purchase? - Every puppy receives a complete health professional check before leaving Gentry.
- What is your health guarantee? - We provide genome results for DM on all puppies. We give an immediate guarantee that requires confirmation by a qualified health professional. We also give a generous 5 year health guarantee against moderate to severe hip dysplasia, lifestyle-limiting sub-aortic stenosis and cardiomyopathy requiring medical intervention and risk of sudden death. We pay a specified amount based on the remainder of the guarantee period to assist with medical expenses. Buyer is not required to return the dog and veterinary expenses are not covered. Our puppies are enrolled in a natural rearing program, if you choose not to continue with those practices that lend themselves to longevity and vitality, the health guarantee will be voided.
- When will I know if a puppy will be available to me? - As puppies develop and evaluations are made I reach out via email and then phone or ZOOM regarding placement of available puppies. I meticulously comb through all inquires making the best choices I can for my puppies. Decisions regarding placement are never made before 6-7 weeks of age. Due to the fact that I am now doing very limited breeding, and because of my generous health guarantee, my litters are often completely committed prior to whelping, especially from those who have owned and been loved by a Gentry boxer in the past and want a second or replacement dog.
- Am I required to breed or show my Gentry boxer? Yes, but only under our direction and with full health screening. At the time of this writing, Gentry is the only NRBA qualified boxer breeder in the world. Other breeders are working with natural rearing, but at this time, there are very few truly naturally reared boxers available anywhere. We are doing preservation breeding. As such, each puppy born in our nursery is vitally important to the health of the breed as a whole. Therefore, we cannot afford to lose any of these dogs' DNA. We are working hard to provide healthier dogs not only to the pet loving population, but also to the breeding community. These dogs have significantly enhanced immunity, especially as each generation in the program passes. This improves epigenetic health along with the ability to respond genetically to our toxic world. Each girl must be fully health screened, evaluated for breeding quality, and bred on a co-ownership basis at least once. Full details will be provided after applications are reviewed. Showing helps to validate the goals of the program. Owners are not forced to obtain AKC Championship titles, but are asked to make best efforts to obtain either AKC conformation or performance titles. These are very special dogs, and we hope you will want them in the spotlight!
Please contact us if you are interested in a puppy. Due to the number of inquiries, I cannot respond unless a completed Puppy Questionnaire is included.